Thursday, February 25, 2010

Solving Rational Expressions

HEY YOU. Time to be rational! LOL. So I am back again to write an entry that was due ages ago. A while back, when we were still doing rational expressions, Mr. Cheng gave us two equations and challenged us to solve one of them. That is what I will be doing/trying to do today.


Alrighty! So here goes nothing. At first glance, this question looks quite long and very difficult. But don't be scare! There is nothing afraid. You just need to break down this equation into little tiny pieces and it is as easy peasy, lemon squeezy. I will now give step-by-step instructions as to how I will solve it.

1. First, to make this equation a lot easier, I will move x^-2 to the bottom and y^-4 to the top, thus removing the negatives from the equation.

2. Next, I will multiply the exponent 5/2 to everything in the equation. So for 81, you would put the denominator 2 on the outside and you can square root 81 to get 9^5, which is 59049, a pretty big number.

3. Then you multiply y^4/1 by 5/2, making it y^20/2 or simplified y^10.

4. You repeat steps 2 and 3 with the bottom terms, and getting 16807 and x^5 as a result.

There you have it! Rational expressions in a nutshell. And if you still don't get it, feel free to ask me how. (NOT!) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment