Thursday, February 25, 2010

Problem Solving #2

This is one of my favorite questions from the second problem solving sheet that I got:

10. If x + y + z = 25 and y + z = 14, then x is:

A.) 8 B.) 11 C.) 6 D.) -6 E.) 31

This question was actually quite simple. Because you know that y and x are equal to 14, you can plug that into the first equation. You can replace (y+z) with 14 to get this equation:

x + 14 = 25

From there, you can easily solve the equation and get the answer B.) 11. One year ago, I wouldn't have been able to solve this question. But now that I have learned to use equations to solve equations, it is much easier. Another way you could solve this problem is guess and check, but that would take forever. I really enjoy problem solving because you never know what kind of problems you are going to get. There are thousands of problems out there just waiting for you to solve them. I especially like problems that you can apply in real life because they are very useful and the skills you pick up are essential. I hope to do more problem solving and get better at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment