Friday, March 5, 2010

Pascal Contest

Recently, I completed the 2006 Pascal (grade 9) Contest for fun. This was a question that looked really hard when I first read it, but I figured it out really quickly. Let me show you!

19. The sum of ten consecutive integers is S. Ten times the smallest of these integers is T. What is the value of S-T?

A.) 45 B.) 55 C.) 10 D.) 9 E.) 66

To solve this question, I made an equation of it. First, let the smallest integer be x. This will be what the first equation looks like: x+(x+1)+(x+2)+..........(x+9) = S In total, that would be: 10x+9=S. T would be 10 times the smallest integer, and T would be 10x. To figure this out, you just take away (10x+9) - 10x. Simply the answer would be D.) 9. My reflection on this contest and the problem solving was that it was quite easy, partly because I am in grade 10 and this is a grade 9 contest, but also because I have improved a lot since the last time. I have done a lot more different problems and figured out more different ways to solve them. I feel that now I can solve almost any problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment